 |
 |
 |
| Decendents of the Dragon |
| Wednesday, March 30, 2005 at 6:10 PM |
Saw Bishan's comments on our J1s' behaviours. I give two hands up on her views. Not that I want to invite hatred from any J1s, neither do I want to put all of them down this way. Especially since I believe only a small portionof them are inviting criticism for the attitudes and behaviours they exhibit. For goodness' sake, they are already turning 17 years old. I don't even have to assume that they have the brains to think coz' by right they should have. I see no reason why some girls were changing outside the LT. The toilet is just a few steps away. This gives me 2 possible messages that they want to convey. 1) Seeking attention. 2) They are still pure and innocent, or maybe ignorant, so much so that they think it's alright to change in public. Yes they still had their clothes on alright. But even if you have shorts on under your skirt, it doesn't mean it's ok to change the skirt in public. Some of them weren't even from girls' schools previously, so no excuse for having the habit of mass changing in public. I believe such things do not happen in girls' schools too. Even if it does, the girls change in classrooms, NOT in an open area. In my opinion, this type of behaviour is rude and uncourteous to the public. Ok maybe guys are fine ogling, whatever. But by doing this, they seem to be treating everyone else to be transparent. I hope they remember this is a SCHOOL. I shan't comment too much on their hairstyles, coz' I see some with 'unique' hairstyles. Of coz' they have the freedom over their hairstyles, but there are still basic rules to stick to. It doesn't mean that after leaving secondary schools, they can have some outrageous form of hair. I admit those hairstyles are nice and hip, but THIS IS A SCHOOL. Maybe I'm too conservative and conforming, but a school is not a fashion stage. Yes, the school can't stop students from being trendy but there's got to some boundaries. Sometimes looking at some of the J1s, I really doubt if I'm in a school or I'm at Orchard shopping. You get the idea...
2nd thing, and this makes me rather pissed off. Some ignorant students opted for LEP WITHOUT even knowing what it is AT ALL. They simply want the 2 bonus points that LEP enrolment would give them, so that they can get into NY. After they get in with the help of the bonus, they choose all subjects available in the world except for LEP. Hello, what do you take LEP for?! This is absolutely kiasu and selfish behaviour. They are depriving others of a place in NY, and stripping the country of potential Chinese elites!!! Worthy students cannot get in just because of that 1 or 2 points. And I want to state this fact that LEP is NOT a tool to achieve any means for students.
I'm glad to see none of my juniors exhibiting any ridiculous behaviour of any sort, as far as I know. Call us nerds, guai-kia or anything. Students are students. They are allowed to have fun, but show respect for the school rules and reputation. All along I was in the RV well, where all I saw were goody kids. But hey, we are no nerds ok! Only when I get to NY, did I see different types of people from other schools. Nope, definitely not saying those students are bad. Just that I came into contact with more people of different personalities in JC. I praise RV-ians for being able to have fun while studying hard, and at the same time, display concern and conciousness of the school rules and reputation. This is what I call responsible behaviour. I wonder if it is the Dragon year that molds the J1s into this shape. Many Chinese, being superstitious, purposely give birth in that year. This is silly. And due to greater number of students in their cohort, they face strong competition and all this may result in them being kiasu or self-centred since young. We really have to do away with those superstitions. They simply exhibit ignorance; in simpler terms, stupidity to some extent. It hurts me to see our future generations degrading.... What sort of political scenes would we have in future with them as leaders? Ok I'm being paranoid here.... I thought my batch was bad enough, in studies and bahaviours. The dragon kids are good in their studies but grades won't bring you anywhere in life if your character is... Well, you know... In case I get flamed for my sweeping criticisms, I wish to reaffirm my stand. Not all born in the Dragon year are like this. Only a minority (or at least I hope so) display indifference, ignorance and selfishness. Not that I like washing dirty linen in public, but I believe there's a need to address this issue.
rhapsody in blue.
|
 |
 |
 |
|